Friday, October 31, 2008

iTunes prices on the rise?

I was asked about iTunes in one of my comments on the first entry, so I thought I'd post this article about iTunes potentially raising their prices. I think this will have a major effect on music piracy, even with the RIAA litigations still ongoing throughout the country. This plus the economy does not spell happiness for the music industry, which is already flailing under monetary struggles.
Here's the link to the CNN article, for those that are interested. It's from 2005, but the discussions are still ongoing today, and this is a good overview of what is happening now as well as then.

4 comments:

Students Defending Students said...

Susan, you are teasing me! This post was so short. I want photos and more links-- the CNN article was good, I never would have found that on my own. But I want to see YOU in this. I don't get a sense of you at all-- I feel like I'm just reading a report on the RIAA. (Maybe you could link to some of those videos we watched in Comm Law yesterday! HAHAHAH!)

Sarah Price said...

Man, I sure hope that iTunes doesn't change from the .99 deal. It's too easy! If I wanted to buy a song and it was more expensive because it was popular or if I couldn't find a song because that record label didn't want to collaborate with iTunes I'd be really bummed.

I'm surprised though that there hasn't been any progress or updates since 2005. That makes me think that the new pricing is going to flop.

Don Jason said...

I agree with SDS you should let your personality shine through more on your blog. you should also add some links about celebrities and there struggles making money after all their fans download songs illegally instead of buying the CD. Try to get another angle on the RIAA . you should have a post about if you were a singer and people illegally downloaded your music, how would you feel?

S. Tebben said...

SDS- What's funny is I am thinking about posting some of those videos, maybe as a nice little break from the info, haha. Especially the rap one.
Sarah - I agree, this model is definitely the thing to do nowadays and raising the prices would be a step down, but who knows.
Don (and SDS) - I am planning on a future post with my opinions, but I wanted to wait until I have all my information, so keep reading!